I thought it might be useful to let people know what gets discussed at parish council meetings. I was elected in May to represent the parish ward of Lightmoor which includes the Lightmoor community. I’ve taken the agenda from the meeting to structure my notes. If you’ve any questions about what was discussed, feel free to ask them in the comments and I’ll try my best to answer them.
1. Apologies and Attendance
All the parish councillors were in attendance last night as well as two members of the public and borough councillor Clive Mollett. Councillor Tracy Hope was unable to attend as she’s broken her wrist playing tennis.
2. Public Session: Alec Connah STROWP officer.
A resident from Hodge Bower raised a concern regarding planning controls within the Gorge as run by Telford and Wrekin Council. Parish and borough councillor David Davies offered to take up this issue after consultation with the resident.
Then there was a presentation by Alec Connah who is the South Telford Rights of Way Partnership officer about what STROWP have done in the past and are hoping to do in the future. The Gorge Parish council financially support the important work of STROWP. Their next big event is the Telford Challenge Walk on the 18th September starting at 9.30am. STROWP Doc
3. Borough Councillors: Cllrs D Davies, T Hope and C Mollett.
DDavies reported that the 100 day emergency budget had been brought forward early. He also talked about the restructure of senior management at Telford and Wrekin Council following the Voluntary Redundancy of Victor Brownlees.
The Pounds for Projects scheme has been restructured and rebranded as the “Your money, your projects” scheme. Each councillor will have £1000 to direct to a local project (or projects). The Gorge council will consider match funding.
CMollett reported that there will be £2000 for Horsehay and Lightmoor projects. The ward covers three different parish councils so will be looking to engage them. He’s concerned about ensuring that the most number of residents from across the ward know about the money and will put forward their ideas. He’s concerned that the new Lightmoor development will take all the money. Ideas will have to be picked by the end of October.
Cllr Mollett is working with Lightmoor Primary School to ensure that the road safety reaches the young people in the school.
Cllr Mollett will be starting a monthly surgery at Horsehay Village Hall at 10:30, 17th September. Residents are encouraged to go and meet him and raise any issues they may have.
4. Strategy Day: The parish council will be holding a strategy day on the 10th September to decide on priorities for the next few years.
5. Allotments: a. Very successful meeting on the 14th July with the allotments committee from Woodside.
b. A request for a litter bin was granted. Telford and Wrekin will collect rubbish from it.
c. There’s been a problem with fly tipping and Telford and Wrekin council are involved. Looking to possibly site a barrier to prevent out of hours access to the site.
6. Matters Arising: a. Various issues/matters have been raised with TWC.
Cllr Hobson reported about the progress with the Coalport/Reynolds Wharf path right of way application.
Road Safety in Lightmoor. Already covered by Cllr Mollett.
7. Reports: a. Coalbrookdale. Road cleaning and clearing was discussed for Wellington Road and Church Road. It seems that during the heavy rains there’s been a build up of dead leaves, mud etc.
b. Coalport. A sign has been sited that says “Welcome to Ironbridge” where the sign saying “Welcome to Coalport” should be. This will be looked into and fixed. Also the canal is quite smelly. There will be some discussion with the museums. There is a petition being circulated by residents requesting a mobile phone mast to improve reception in the Gorge.
c. Jackfield. Salthouse Road potholes continue to be a problem. These have been reported and are being followed up with Telford and Wrekin Council.
d. Ironbridge. A resident has raised concerns about parking on Madeley Hill. The toilets on the wharfage are being cleaned but it appears one of the urinals may have a leak. Orchard Lane will be closed for one day to finish the work on electrical poles.
e. Lightmoor. Cllr Whitehouse provided an update from the Lightmoor Village Residents Association meeting. Discussion regarding the Fields in Trust scheme for the jubilee in 2012. Residents have asked for dog pooh bins on the bridle way through the village. This will be considered at the next meeting & the parish council will look at working with Dawley Hamlets parish council on this. Concerns were raised by residents about ensuring value for money for their service charge payments to BVT. The Multi-Use games area will be open for a trial period through the summer from 5pm-8pm Monday to Friday. Some residents are concerned about the lack of summer activities locally for young people who are off school. It is proposed that the sewers in the village will be adopted.
a. A number of invoices and direct debits were agreed to be paid:
b. Confirmation the new signatories have been accepted by the Co op Bank
c. Agreed to pay invoices for Nature walk booklets.
d. A discussion was had around the costs of voluntary redundancy of Chief Executive of
Telford and Wrekin Council and the restructure of the senior management team at
Telford and Wrekin Council.
f. A new lease for the office was agreed.
g. A discussion was had about the best use of the Parish Council logo for the Jackfield News.
9. Planning: a. A number of new Applications were considered.
b. Decisions from previous meetings were reviewed.
c. The pink cooling towers at the power station have been refused listing status.
10. Environmental and highways issues.
a. We considered a number of tenders for the “Roadman” position. One was settled on.
b. There was some discussions of neighbourhood watch signs and the suitable locations of these in Cherry Tree Hill, Ironbridge.
c. The Low Bridge at Coalbrookdale continues to prove problematic for large vehicles and lorry drivers. It seems they’re not checking their route and following their sat nav. (see report).
d. Cllr Michael Mackenzie provided and update from the Bus Users group and alterations to bus between Market Drayton and Wellington no 341.
e There was a letter regarding Utility working in the Gorge.
f. SGCT Access to nature update
g. There was discussion regarding the Memorial Bench by the Swan, The Wharfage. It was agreed to pay for the paint for the good upkeep of the bench.
11. Localism and Neighbourhood planning. This item was deferred to next meeting.
12. Bandstand. We had an update regarding the bandstand that was going to be built in Ironbridge but proved to be too expensive from the quote. Looking at alternative options for a bandstand and other schemes to celebrate the Queen’s Jubilee in 2012.
a. Thank you letter from Coalbrookdale PCC.
b. LINK information about a new facebook page Telford Talks project.
c. Clerks and Councils Direct.
d. Parish Forum papers. Consider nomination for Vice Chair of the forum.
e. Fields in Trust more information. (Queen’s jubilee project).
f. Lightmoor Development news.
g. Telford Focus One Telford Newsletter.
h. Information about high street reviews. http://www.bis.gov.uk/policies/business-sectors/retail/high-street-review#survey
i. Rodington Parish Council newsletter
j. Friends of Coalbrookdale Arboretum thank you letter for grant and information on how it has been spent and set of accounts.
14. Any other business. There were no items of Any Other Business.
15. Date of next meeting Tuesday Planning 6th September 2011 and Full Council 20th September 2011 at The Gorge Parish Council office Maws Craft Centre.